Thursday, January 31, 2013

Chocolate Chia Pudding

Salmon is one food I try to have my family eat regularly. Unfortunately it is never as often as I would like. I've recently come across Chia seeds which have high levels of Omega 3 in them along with loads of other really good nutrients.
It's easy to add to breads, stir fries and salads as the seeds have little taste. The interesting thing with it is that when it gets wet it turns gelatinous (a bit like flax seeds).
I found lots of recipes like this one on the website sweetlyraw...a chocolate type pudding with all sorts of ingredients I don't have in my pantry. The basic premise is that you make a flavoured liquid and mix the Chai seeds in and they thicken it over about 20 minutes.
Tonight I improvised with great results!
It is like chocolate mousse in flavour but with texture a bit like a sago or tapioca pudding.
I'm usually craving chocolate in the evening but tonight I've had my chocolate hit.

The recipe isn't precise and I will do some experimentation with it since it went down really well with my family - they didn't realise that it was actually a pretty healthy dessert!
I'm keen to substitute the milk with coconut milk or almond milk and maybe try it with berries.
Watch this space for more Chia recipes.



Chocolate Chia Pudding
Melt about 80g of dark chocolate in about 3/4 cup of milk
Stir in 1/4 tsp of vanilla paste
Mix in 2 1/2 tbsp on Chia seeds

Mix well, then pour into individual dishes and allow to thicken on the bench for about an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment