Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Maple Mustard Baked Chicken - easy and yum!

I found this recipe on Pintrest last night. What I loved about it was how super incredibly easy it is. It literally took me less then 5 minutes to prepare and then cooked on its own, only needing basting once in the process.

The blog is called 'Witty In The City'. I really like the no nonsense writing style of the author.
What really amused me was the name she had given to the dish. It was called Man-Pleasing -Chicken because her male partner was so impressed by it.
The males in my house were pretty impressed and I liked it too!

While the ingredients - dijon mustard, maple syrup, vinegar (and chicken) are really strong distinct flavours, my diners could not immediately identify what the ingredients were. The sauce was almost like a sweet peanut sauce.

I made the sauce the night before and marinated the chicken during the day but I'm sure this didn't make to much difference.
The cooking time was about 10 minutes less than suggested. I just tested the chicken a few times. The beauty of using chicken breasts is that they are pretty hard to dry out.


Maple and Mustard Chicken 
( Man-Pleasing -Chicken)
To make this chicken, which you should absolutely do immediately, preheat your oven to 450ºF. 
Then, mix together 1/2 cup of dijon mustard, 1/4 cup of maple syrup, and 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar. 
Put a 1.5 pound package of chicken thighs (I used 6) into a foil-lined, oven-proof baking dish. I used boneless, skinless thighs. Six came in my package, which made enough to serve 3 people. 
Then, salt and pepper the thighs. Pour your maple mustard mixture over them, turning the thighs in the mixture so they are fully coated. 
Put the chicken thighs into the oven, and let them bake for 40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165ºF.
Baste the tops of the chicken with more sauce half way through. I find that a meat thermometer is essential in cooking because it allows me to check for doneness without cutting into the meat and losing its precious juices.
Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Plate the chicken, making sure to spoon some extra sauce over the top. 
Sprinkle over some fresh rosemary. If there is ever a time to use fresh herbs, THIS IS IT! The flavors are just so good together. Enjoy the savory goodness of this meal!
I adapted this recipe from “The I <3 Trader Joe’s Cookbook” by Cherie Mercer Twoky. 
Shopping list:
  • Chicken thighs- 1 package
  • Dijon mustard- 1/2 cup
  • Maple syrup- 1/4 cup
  • Rice wine vinegar- 1 tablespoon
  • Fresh rosemary

No comments:

Post a Comment